Chapter 31: The Body’s Defense System (Worksheet # 1)
Instructor: Mr. Buckley
Complete the reading in your Biology: Exploring Life by Campbell et. Al.
(the newest textbook) to answer the following questions. This reading is from
Concepts 31.1 and 31.2 pp. 676-681
Answers not written using complete sentences to these questions will not be accepted.
1 What are pathogens?
2. What do we call diseases caused by pathogens?
3. What is the germ theory of disease?
4. What is a nonspecific body defense (or 1st line defense)? Provide an example
5. What is included in the second line of body defense?
6. What are natural killer cells and what do they play a role in defending against?
7. What is an inflammatory response?
8. What is interferon and what does it stimulate?
9. What is the third line of defense in the body?
10. Why is the third line of defense sometimes referred to as “targeted defense”?